April 23, 2009
OXFORD, Ohio - The Miami baseball team travels north to face MAC East Division foe Bowling Green in a weekend matchup at Warren E. Steller Field. The games are slated for a 3 p.m. first pitch on Friday, and 1 p.m. starts on Saturday and Sunday.
THE REDHAWK RUNDOWN
- The RedHawks have been red-hot against the Mid-American Conference after a slow start to their conference schedule. Since being swept in the opening series by Toledo, Miami has gone 10-2 over the next four MAC series. The RedHawks have swept league series versus Eastern Michigan and Buffalo.
- Matt Erwood (Atlanta, Ga.) and Tyler Melling (Bellefontaine, Ohio) continue to be a solid one-two punch to start the weekend rotation for the RedHawks. They now rank second and third, respectively, in the MAC in individual pitching. Erwood boasts a 4-2 record and a 3.38 ERA, while Melling is 4-0 with a 3.80 ERA. The two trail only BGSU's Brennan Smith, who will face the RedHawks this weekend.
- Jordan Petraitis (Canal Fulton, Ohio) continues to climb the ranks in the career hitting annals. Petraitis currently ranks among the all-time Miami leaders in hits (4th), runs (t-4th), doubles (t-3rd), triples (t-2nd), at-bats (4th), total bases (2nd), RBI (7th) and walks (7th). With a double against Western Michigan (3/28), Petraitis reached a career milestone with 250 hits.
- Jordan Jankowski (McMurray, Pa.) has been phenomenal on the mound for the RedHawks, both out of the bullpen and as a newly-anointed starter. In Saturday's doubleheader against Buffalo, Jankowski was brought in to close out the ninth inning in game one -- picking up his fourth save -- and then turned around and started game two, pitching 5.1 scoreless innings and earning the win.
- Ryan Curl (Columbus, Ohio) has been a spark plug at the plate in the month of April. In the 13 games he has played in this month, Curl has gone 17-for-52 (.327) with two home runs, two triples, three doubles, 13 RBI and nine runs scored. His batting average also has climbed 50 points from .224 to .274.
THE BOWLING GREEN FALCONS
The Falcons come into the weekend with an overall record of 18-16 and an 8-6 conference record. Miami holds an all-time record of 81-55 against Bowling Green. The RedHawks and Falcons first met in 1953 when Miami lost 17-2 in Oxford. Last season, the RedHawks took two of three from Bowling Green at McKie Field at Hayden Park. The last time the two teams met at Warren E. Steller Field was during the 2006 season when Miami swept the Falcons 5-4, 4-3 and 6-1.
LEADERS IN THE CLUBHOUSE
Tommy Nurre (Cincinnati, Ohio) currently leads the team in batting average (.394) and slugging percentage (.667). Chris Nadeau leads the team in hits (53) and doubles (14). Adam Eaton (Springfield, Ohio) leads the team in runs scored (44) and stolen bases (17). Zak Hatfield (Ft. Wayne, Ind.) leads the team in home runs (10) and runs-batted in (37). Matt Erwood (Atlanta, Ga.) holds the lowest earned-run average for a pitcher with at least two starts (3.38) and also leads all pitchers in innings pitched (50.2) and strikeouts (39). Jamaal Hollis (Chicago, Ill.) leads all pitchers in ERA (0.90).
The RedHawks travel to Bloomington, Ind., to face former Miami head coach Tracy Smith and the Indiana Hoosiers at 4 p.m. Tuesday, April 28. They then host Eastern Kentucky University on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at McKie Field at Hayden Park. Following these two non-conference matchups, Miami travels to Akron for a weekend series May 1-3. Game times for the Akron series are 3 p.m. on Friday and 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.