Swoop's Stoop is an initiative that was created by former Miami goaltender Cody Reichard ('12) beginning in the 2010-11 Miami University hockey season as an effort to help sick children in Cincinnati Children's Hospital. The program started out small by recognizing a few children at Miami Hockey games and has now grown into a funded program providing many more opportunities to these same children in Cincinnati Children's Hospital. The goal of the program is to provide an experience to ill kids that they wouldn't normally receive because most of their time is spent at the hospital. Miami University's hockey team provides this experience by hosting different groups of children one time every home series played in Oxford and with current varsity Miami student-athletes, including the hockey team, making trips to visit and interact with the children at Cincinnati Children's hospital. The program is sponsored by both Step Resources and Miami's Red & White Club.
- Providing life enrichment experiences to children facing life-changing illnesses
Long Term Goals:
- Expand the program to involve the entire Miami Athletic department and its teams
- Create a fund to benefit those families struggling with the financial costs of their children's treatment
Swoop's Stoop Facebook Page
Cincinnati Enquirer Story
Hamilton JournalNews Story
The Miami Student Story
Stepping Up to Swoop's Stoop
Cody Reichard's Interview on 700-WLW Sports Talk (Oct. 25, 2011)
2011-2012 Season Events:
- Swoop's Stoop embroidered blankets made for admitted patients at Children's Hospital handed out by members of the Miami hockey team
- Monthly visits by hockey players to Cincinnati Children's Hospital
- Kids will be invited to attend each home weekend with free tickets, drinks, food, and will be recognized during the game
- Create and hang a Swoop's Stoop banner for Steve Cady Arena
- Paint Cody Reichard's goalie mask to match the values and mission of the Swoop's Stoop program, which will be worn during the season. Mask will be auctioned off after the season
- Wore special Swoop's Stoop jerseys Feb. 11, 2012 vs. Alabama-Huntsville that were auctioned off to raise money for the program
- Photo Gallery of Swoop's Stoop Night
- The program raised over $16,000 dollars through the end of the 2011 calendar year
2012-2013 Season Events:
- Senior football players Sam Olberding and DJ Brown have led the Swoop's Stoop efforts since Cody Reichard graduated
- Continued hospital visits with various student-athletes
- Swoop's Stoop attendees at every home Friday hockey game
- Swoop's Stoop Night on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013. Five Swoop's Stoop families attended the hockey game against Bowling Green in the President's/Athletic Department suite at Steve Cady Arena. They were featured on the videoboard and a banner was hung in the arena to commemorate the Swoop's Stoop efforts throughout the game.
What can you do to help?
Swoop's Stoop is supported by Miami University and the Miami University Foundation. Gifts provided in support of Swoop's Stoop should be made payable to Miami University and mailed to: Miami University, 725 E. Chestnut Street, Oxford OH 45056. Please earmark the gift for Swoop's Stoop by writing it in the memo portion of your check. You may also make a secure online gift to Miami and Swoop's Stoop by Clicking Here. Please designate the amount under "other" and then also fill in Swoop's Stoop in the designation.
Awards for Swoop's Stoop
- Reichard won the CCHA's 2012 Ilitch Humanitarian Award - Release
- Reichard won a 2012 Giant Steps Award in the community organization category as part of National STUDENT-Athlete Day - Release
- Reichard was one of 10 finalists for the 2012 Lowe's Senior CLASS Award - Release
- Reichard was one of just five finalists for the 2012 Hockey Humanitarian Award - Release
- Reichard was one of just five finalists in all of the NCAA for the 2012 Wooden Citizenship Cup - Release
Cody Reichard is currently playing for the Houston Aeros of the American Hockey League, where he has been since Feb. 17, 2013. Earlier in the 2012-13 season, he was playing for the Stockton Thunder of the ECHL, where he went 13-8-5 with a shutout in net.
Swoop's Stoop Photo Gallery