Miami Soccer Storms Past Michigan State, 2-1, in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament

Follow @MiamiRedHawks and @MiamiOH_Soccer on Twitter

Nov. 15, 2002

Box Score

ANN ARBOR, MI - Miami's women's soccer team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament after defeating Michigan State University, 2-1, on a snowy University of Michigan Field on Friday.

As the RedHawks entered their third consecutive NCAA Tournament, they were determined to show their experience over the Spartans who were making their first NCAA Tournament appearance.

Both teams battled back and fourth through the first 25 minutes as each had scoring chances although neither team maintained possession of the ball and control of the game.

As nearly two-thirds of the first half had past, Miami began to show their quickness and agility over the bigger and more physical Spartans. While the clock read 33:30, senior forward Andrea Cunningham dribbled to the corner before she crossed the ball to senior Katie Milligan standing just beyond the 6-yard box to make the score 1-0 and give Milligan only her second goal of the season.

Miami went into the half with a 1-0 lead, outshooting Michigan State 8-6.

"For the first few minutes, we were pretty cold and it took a little while to heat up and get going," said head coach Bobby Kramig. "The rule for us is get the ball on the ground and play soccer."

The RedHawks warmed up from the freezing conditions during half-time and kept the heat flowing on the field during the second half. In the 61st minute, Michigan goalkeeper Stacy Heller punched the cross by Milligan back in front of the goal where sophomore midfielder Ashley Swinehart one-touched the ball past the diving hands of Heller for the second goal of the game and Swinehart's seventh goal of the season.

With less than five minutes to play in the game and Miami leading 2-0, the RedHawks had outshot the Spartans 6-1 in the second half and 14-7 on the game.

The Spartans got on the scoreboard with a little more than three minutes remaining. Emma Harris passed the ball ahead to Trisha Kenny who dribbled past the Miami defenders for the Spartans first score to cut Miami's lead in half, 2-1.

Michigan State outshot Miami 4-0 in the last five minutes of play, but the RedHawks held on to win the second NCAA Tournament game in program history.

"I am excited for our team and the opportunity to get back to the second round," said Kramig. "Last year we didn't have a good showing in the second round and we would like to come out and play like we have all year on Sunday."

The RedHawks will play the winner of the University of Michigan and Oakland University at noon on Sunday, Nov. 16 in Ann, Arbor. The winner of the second round game will head to the "Sweet 16."