RICHMOND, Ky. – Miami University’s women’s tennis team used a doubles sweep and quick singles victories to earn its first victory of the season, defeating Eastern Kentucky University, 5-2, Friday morning at the Greg Adams Tennis Center.
The RedHawks (1-1) quickly grabbed the opening doubles point as they swept the Colonels (0-1) in their season-opening match. Senior Ana Rajkovic and junior Andreea Badileanu defeated Viktorija Demcenkova and Margaux Lacroix, 6-1, followed by a 6-4 victory by the pair of sophomore Hannah Shteyn and freshman Anzhelika Shapovalova. The doubles competition concluded with the MAC Doubles Team of the Week of sophomores Nelli Ponomareva and Anastasiia Vasiukhina picking up their third consecutive win, 6-3, over Laura Argente and Racquel Montalvo.
Miami then began the singles portion with three straight-sets wins that clinched their victory. In second-flight, Badileanu earned her first victory of the season with a 6-2, 6-0 result against Corentine Bodin. Shteyn was also victorious for the first time in the regular season with her 6-4, 6-2 fourth-flight decision against Demcenkova. The clinching win came in third-flight as Ponomareva grabbed a third straight victory, downing Martina Marti, 6-4, 6-4.
After EKU earned its first point, freshman Emily Struble beat Lacroix, 6-2, 6-0, extending her winning streak to five. The final match of the day would go to the Colonels, but Rajkovic fought hard before falling 12-10 in the third-set tiebreaker.
The RedHawks will now turn their attention to a pair of matches next weekend against local rivals. Miami will travel to face the Cincinnati Bearcats on Friday, Feb. 5 at 5 p.m. at the Western Tennis & Fitness Center. On the following day, the RedHawks will host the Xavier Musketeers in their home opener at 4 p.m. at the Riverside Athletic Club in Hamilton, Ohio.
Check MiamiRedHawks.com throughout the week for releases and a preview of next weekend’s action.
1. Nelli Ponomareva / Anastasiia Vasiukhina (MIAMI) def. Laura Argente / Racquel Montalvo (EKU), 6-3
2. Anzhelika Shapovalova / Hannah Shteyn (MIAMI) def. Corentine Bodin / Marina Marti (EKU), 6-4
3. Andreea Badileanu / Ana Rajkovic (MIAMI) def. Viktorija Demcenkova / Margaux Lacroix (EKU), 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Laura Argente (EKU) def. Anzhelika Shapovalova (MIAMI), 6-4, 6-3
2. Andreea Badileanu (MIAMI) def. Corentine Bodin (EKU), 6-2, 6-0
3. Nelli Ponomareva (MIAMI) def. Marina Marti (EKU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Hannah Shteyn (MIAMI) def. Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Emily Struble (MIAMI) def. Margaux Lacroix (EKU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Racquel Montalvo (EKU) def. Ana Rajkovic (MIAMI), 6-2, 0-6, 1-0 (12-10)
Order of finish: 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6