Feb. 10, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The opening doubles point proved to be the difference for the Miami tennis team on Friday as the RedHawks dropped a hard-fought 4-3 decision to the Furman Paladins. The match was played at a neutral site, the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center in Louisville.
Both the doubles and singles decisions came down the final match. Furman took the No. 1 doubles match 8-2, but Riekie Honiball and Nimisha Mohan evened the score at No. 2 with an 8-5 victory. But the Paladins (2-3) opened a 1-0 lead with an 8-6 triumph.
Furman added to the lead with a 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 1 before Katherine Castro, seeing her first action since the opening weekend, earned a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 6. The Paladins added to their lead at No. 3 (6-2, 6-1), but Miami (2-4) won back-to-back matches. Honiball took the No. 2 flight by a 6-3, 6-4 score, then Alix Thurman pulled the RedHawks even with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 win at No. 5.
In the final match, Furman's Margaret Boyette took the opening set from Christine Guerrrazzi in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (9-7). But the freshman fought back to force a third set, 6-2 before falling 6-3.
Miami returns to action tomorrow morning when it travels to Indiana for an 11 a.m. match.
Tennis Match Results
Miami vs Furman
Feb 10, 2012 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
Furman 4, Miami 3
1. Lauren Kline (FURMAN) def. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) 6-2, 6-1
2. Riekie Honiball (MIAMI) def. Katherine Oudin (FURMAN) 6-3, 6-4
3. Michele Stanford (FURMAN) def. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) 6-2, 6-1
4. Margaret Boyette (FURMAN) def. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 7-6 (9-7), 2-6, 6-3
5. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Alex Moreno-Kaste (FURMAN) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
6. Katherine Castro (MIAMI) def. Kelsey Kinderknecht (FURMAN) 6-1, 6-3
1. Lauren Kline/Alex Moreno-Kaste (FURMAN) def. Stephanie Danesis/Jessica Parr (MIAMI) 8-2
2. Riekie Honiball/Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) def. Margaret Boyette/Katherine Oudin (FURMAN) 8-5
3. Michele Stanford/Amanda Murray (FURMAN) def. Christiana Raymond/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,6,3,2,5,4)