RICHMOND, Ky. – The Miami University women’s tennis team dropped their match against Eastern Kentucky Sunday by a score of 4-3. The RedHawks fall to 2-5 on the season, while the Colonels improve their record to 4-2.
Unlike Saturday’s match against Memphis, the RedHawks were able to get off to a great start in doubles matches. Nelli Ponomareva and Melati Devi combined to defeat EKU’s number one pairing of Argente/Demecenkova 6-2, and were quickly followed by Milana Lysova and Emily Struble, who won by the same score. Priyana Kalita and Lena Babunski were up 4-3 in their match before that was abandoned after the RedHawks clinched.
The singles session would be where things started to derail for the ‘Hawks. Eastern Kentucky snagged victories at fourth and third singles to go ahead 2-1. Ponomareva, continuing her hot streak at the top of the singles lineup, brought one back for the RedHawks by defeating Kristina Lagoda 6-7, 6-3, 6-0. However, the Colonels would win one the second court and sixth court the clinch the match victory. Miami did get some consolation when Babunski claimed herself a victory at fifth singles, winning 6-1, 6-4.
The match’s full results can be found below.
The Red and White return home next weekend for a two-match homestand, taking on Marshall Saturday and Murray State on Sunday. Both matches are at Riverside Athletic Club in Hamilton.
1. Ponomareva/Devi (Miami) def. Argente/Demecenkova (EKU) 6-2
2. Kalita/Babunski (Miami) vs. Belle/Friess (EKU) 4-3 (unfinished)
3. Lysova/Struble (Miami) def. Lagoda/Montalvo (EKU) 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Nelli Ponomareva (Miami) def. Kristina Lagoda (EKU) 6-7, 6-3, 6-0
2. Laura Argente (EKU) def. Milana Lysova (Miami) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
3. Viktorija Demecenkova (EKU) def. Priyana Kalita (Miami) 6-4, 7-6
4. Alexandra Belle (EKU) def. Emily Struble (Miami) 6-1, 7-5
5. Lena Babunski (Miami) def. Margaux Lacroix (EKU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Sagung Putri Dwinta (EKU) def. Melati Devi (Miami) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 3, 1, 2, 6, 5