March 23, 2012
AKRON, Ohio -- The battle between the MAC's two best tennis program proved to be everything advertised as Miami rallied from a 3-1 deficit to defeat No. 65 Akron 4-3 Friday afternoon. The win extends the RedHawks' regular-season league winning streak to 26 and avenges a loss by the same score in the MAC Championship last year.
Miami (6-9, 1-0) was swept in the three doubles matches, then lost the first singles match, No. 3, to trail 2-0. Alix Thurman put the RedHawks on the scoreboard with a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No. 5, but the Zips (14-2, 0-1) answered right back at No. 2 to open a 3-1 lead.
From their the RedHawks took control. Stephanie Danesis took the point at No. 1, defeating 2011 Player of the Year easily, 6-2, 6-3. Miami tied the score at 3 when Christiana Raymond rallied in the No. 4 match, posting a 2-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-1 victory.
As it has on a several other occasions this year, the overall match came down to Miami's No. 6 player, Christine Guerrazzi. The freshman won her first set 6-1, but Akron's Ksenia Berestetska rallied to force a third, 6-3. The decider went all the way to a tiebreaker, with Guerrazzi dominating 7-1 to claim the final set, 7-6.
"I was proud of the way we fought out there today," Head Coach Anca Dumitrescu said. "We started slowly in doubles but were able to find our energy in singles. Akron certainly put us under a lot of pressure out there, but we kept finding ways to persevere and eventually came through. It is certainly a good start to our conference season but we still have a long way to go."
Miami looks to continue its winning streak tomorrow when it travels to Buffalo to face the Bulls. The match starts at 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Miami vs Akron
Mar 23, 2012 at Akron, Ohio
Miami 4, #65 Akron 3
1. Stephanie Danesis (MIAMI) def. Zara Harutyunyan (AKRON) 6-2, 6-3
2. Olga Shkundina (AKRON) def. Riekie Honiball (MIAMI) 6-1, 6-2
3. Prang Pantusart (AKRON) def. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) 6-1, 6-1
4. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) def. Angelina Jogasuria (AKRON) 2-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-1
5. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Angelika Jogasuria (AKRON) 6-1, 6-4
6. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Ksenia Berestetska (AKRON) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-1)
1. #80 Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (AKRON) def. Stephanie Danesis/Alix Thurman (MIAMI) 8-5
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Natalia Kuvakina (AKRON) def. Riekie Honiball/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 8-7 (7-4)
3. Angelina Jogasuria/Olga Shkundina (AKRON) def. Christiana Raymond/Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) 8-0
Miami 6-9, 1-0
Akron 14-2, 0-1; National ranking #65
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,5,2,1,4,6)