March 24, 2012
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Miami swept through doubles play then won five of six singles matches, giving the RedHawks a 6-1 victory over Buffalo Saturday afternoon. The victory was the 27th straight during regular-season league play for the RedHawks.
Miami (7-9, 2-0) won the doubles point for the fifth time in its last seven outings to open a 1-0 lead. Stephanie Danesis and Alix Thurman improved to 4-2 as a doubles team with an 8-6 win at No. 1, then Riekie Honiball and Christine Guerrazzi combined for an 8-5 victory at No. 2. Christiana Raymond and Nimisha Mohan completed the sweep with an 8-3 triumph.
The RedHawks quickly captured the first three singles points to secure the victory. Thurman made the score 2-0 by posting her fifth straight singles win, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 5. The freshman stands 16-8 overall this year, including 6-2 in dual matches. Danesis won the No. 1 flight, 6-4, 6-2, before Mohan finished off the Bulls 6-3, 6-0 at No. 4.
Buffalo (5-7, 1-1) picked up its lone point by winning at No. 2, 7-5, 6-1, but Miami answered with wins by Guerrazzi (6-1, 6-4) and Raymond (4-6, 6-4, 10-6) at No. 6 and No. 3, respectively. Guerrazzi's win was also her fifth in a row and improved her overall record to 15-9.
Miami hits the road again next week when it travels to Toledo and Eastern Michigan for matches Friday and Saturday.
Tennis Match Results
Miami vs Buffalo
Mar 24, 2012 at Buffalo, N.Y.
(UB Tennis Center)
Miami 6, Buffalo 1
1. Stephanie Danesis (MIAMI) def. Tanvi Shah (BUFFALO) 6-4, 6-2
2. Marta Stoyanova (BUFFALO) def. Riekie Honiball (MIAMI) 7-5, 6-1
3. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) def. Tamara Markovic (BUFFALO) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) def. Kira Golenko (BUFFALO) 6-3, 6-0
5. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Miranda Podlas (BUFFALO) 6-0, 6-2
6. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Anamaria Candanoza (BUFFALO) 6-1, 6-4
1. Alix Thurman/Stephanie Danesis (MIAMI) def. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (BUFFALO) 8-6
2. Riekie Honiball/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Marta Stoyanova/Tamara Markovic (BUFFALO) 8-5
3. Christiana Raymond/Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) def. Anamaria Candanoza/Kira Golenko (BUFFALO) 8-3
Miami 7-9, 2-0
Buffalo 5-7, 1-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,1,4,2,6,3)