April 6, 2012
OXFORD, Ohio -- Miami rebounded from a loss in doubles to take five of six singles matches Friday afternoon to earn a 5-2 Mid-American Conference tennis victory against Bowling Green. The win was the 30th straight in regular-season league play for the RedHawks.
Miami (10-9) fell behind early after Bowling Green won two of three doubles matches. The Falcons took an 8-3 decision at No. 1, but the other action went to the wire. The RedHawks evened things at No. 2 when Christine Guerrazzi and Riekie Honiball won the last three games for a 9-7 victory.
However, Bowling Green (6-7, 2-2) turned the tables at No. 3, turning a 6-5 deficit into a 7-6 lead. After Miami broke to even the score at 7-7, BG captured the next two games for a 1-0 lead in the match. The doubles loss was the second in five conference matches this year.
But Miami came back strong winning the first three singles matches in straight sets. Alix Thurman won her eighth straight dual match 6-3, 6-1 at No. 5 to tie the score at 1-1, then Nimisha Mohan put the RedHawks ahead for good with a 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 4. Mohan and her opponent were tied at 3-3 in the first set when the sophomore took nine straight games for the win.
Honiball erased a four-match losing skid Friday with a 6-1, 6-4 victory in the No. 2 flight, making the match score 3-1 before the drama started. Stephanie Danesis, who dropped the first set at No. 1, 6-3, rallied for a 6-1 win in the second. The third set went to a tie breaker and she trailed 5-0, but scored six unanswered points to take the lead. After a BG point evened things at 6-6, Danesis held her serve and broke to the 7-6 (8-6) clinching victory.
At No. 6, Guerrazzi rolled to a 6-3 win in the first set, but lost the second (7-6, 7-3). She trailed 4-1 in the final set before winning the next five games. Bowling Green gained lone singles win at No. 3, winning 7-6 (9-7), 3-6, 1-0 (10-6).
Miami continues its homestand tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m. at the Hepburn Courts when it entertains Western Michigan.
Tennis Match Results
Bowling Green vs Miami
Apr 04, 2012 at Oxford, Ohio
Miami 5, Bowling Green 2
1. Stephanie Danesis (MIAMI) def. Nikki Chiracosta (BGSU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Riekie Honiball (MIAMI) def. Maddy Eccleston (BGSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Emily Reuland (BGSU) def. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) 7-6 (9-7), 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) def. Mary Hill (BGSU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Katie Grubb (BGSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Jessica Easdale (BGSU) 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 6-4
1. Nikki Chiracosta/Emily Reuland (BGSU) def. Stephanie Danesis/Alix Thurman (MIAMI) 8-3
2. Riekie Honiball/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Maddy Eccleston/Katie Grubb (BGSU) 9-7
3. Mary Hill/Jade Johnson (BGSU) def. Christiana Raymond/Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) 9-7
Bowling Green 6-7, 2-2
Miami 10-9, 5-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,4,2,1,6,3)
Official: Clay Boone T-3:14 A-64