HAMILTON, Ohio - The Miami University women's tennis team made sure to end their home schedule on a high note Saturday, when they took down the visiting Bowling Green Falcons at Riverside Athletic Club by a score of 6-1. The match served as senior day for the RedHawks, with Nelli Ponomareva and Anastasiia Vasiukhina being honored before the match. The RedHawks improve to 9-8 overall and 5-1 in the Mid-American Conference.
The doubles point was a closely contested one, as the two sides split the first two matches. Emily Struble and Melati Devi won 6-1 on court three, but the Falcons countered with a 7-6 win of their own. After being tied 4-4, Milana Lysova and Priyana Kalita won the last two games to take the match 6-4 and clinch the doubles point for the RedHawks.
The RedHawks carried this momentum into singles, where a red-hot start saw each Miami win the first set on all six courts. Freshman Makenzie Myers was the first one to finish, winning 6-2, 6-2 over BGSU's Wassman. Struble wasn't far behind, as she finished shortly after with a 6-1, 6-2 win of her own. This put Miami up 3-0, needing one more match to clinch.
For the second match in a row, that clinching point was claimed by freshman Lena Babunski on court five. She also won in two sets, defeated the Falcons' Bettinelli 7-5, 6-4. Ponomareva then continued what has been a stellar senior campaign with a 6-4, 5-7, 7-2 win at first singles, and Lysova also won a three-set match at second singles. Bowling Green did claim a point at the end of the match, winning at fourth singles.
The day's full results can be found below.
The Red & White will hit the road for their last two regular season matches, playing at Western Michigan on Friday and at Toledo on Sunday. They will follow that up the next weekend with the MAC Tournament in Muncie, Indiana.
1. Comella/Bettinelli (BGSU) def. Ponomareva/Vasiukhina (Miami) 7-6
2. Lysova/Kalita (Miami) def. Radeva/Sasaki (BGSU) 6-4
3. Struble/Devi (Miami) def. Wassman/Pardo (BGSU) 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Nelli Ponomareva (Miami) def. Paula Comella (BGSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
2. Milana Lysova (Miami) def. Polina Radeva (BGSU) 7-6, 1-6, 1-0 (10-3)
3. Emily Struble (Miami) def. Ayumi Sasaki (BGSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Vanesa Pardo (BGSU) def. Priyana Kalita (Miami) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Lena Babunski (Miami) def. Marta Bettinelli (BGSU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Makenzie Myers (Miami) def. Theresa Wassman (BGSU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 3, 5, 1, 2, 4