April 27, 2012
DeKALB, Ill. -- Top-seeded Miami took two doubles matches, then won three singles ties Friday to cruise past No. 9 Ball State in the quarterfinal round of the 2012 Mid-American Conference Tennis Championship.
The RedHawks (14-9) advance to the semifinals against No. 5 Bowling Green tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. CT. The Falcons upset No. 4 Eastern Michigan, 4-0, in their quarterfinal meeting.
In No. 3 doubles, Christiana Raymond and Alix Thurman won the first game and broke serve in the second for a 2-0 advantage. After the Cardinals broke Raymond right back, the RedHawks rattled off five straight games for a 7-2 lead. The Cardinals broke Thurman to stay alive, but Miami returned the favor, closing out the match 8-2.
Stephanie Danesis and Christine Guerrazzi jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the No. 1 match, but Ball State rallied with three straight wins, two by holding serve. Miami regrouped, though, and won the next three games for the 8-3 decision.
Both players made sure their singles matches would count in the team score. Mohan led 3-2 in the first set when she won back-to-back games. After she was broken to make the score 5-3, the sophomore broke back to take the first set, 6-3. She won the first three games of the second set, then followed a Cardinal win with another three in a row, putting Miami up 2-0 in the overall match.
Honiball turned out to have the clinching match at No.2. She rallied from an early break that put her down 1-2 by winning two straight and three of the next four games to open a 4-3 advantage. From there, she won seven straight games for a 6-3, 5-0 lead. After a BSU hold, Honiball closed out the contest.
Two other matches also went final around the same time. Thurman won 6-2, 6-1 at No. 5 for a 3-0 team score, then Guerrazzi won her match point as Honiball clinched. Thurman siezed control at 3-2 with six straight wins, while Guerrazzi opened 5-1 and 4-0 leads in her two sets.
Raymond held a 7-5, 2-0 lead at No. 4, while Danesis was trailing 3-6, 4-1 in the top flight when play was halted.
Tennis Match Results
Ball State vs Miami
Apr 27, 2012 at DeKalb, Ill.
(NIU West Tennis Courts)
Miami 5, Ball State 0
1. Stephanie Danesis (MIAMI) vs. Courtney Wild (BSU) 3-6, 4-1, unfinished
2. Riekie Honiball (MIAMI) def. Kristel Sanders (BSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) def. Kylee Johnson (BSU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) vs. Sarah Hebble (BSU) 7-5, 2-0, unfinished
5. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Ashlyn Rang (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Lauren Pickrel (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Stephanie Danesis/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Courtney Wild/Ashlyn Rang (BSU) 8-3
2. Riekie Honiball/Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) vs. Paola Rodriguez/Sarah Hebble (BSU) 6-3, unfinished
3. Christiana Raymond/Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Lauren Pickrel/Dena Boulieris (BSU) 8-2
Ball State 7-16, No. 9 seed
Miami 14-9, No. 1 seed
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,5,2,6)
Quarterfinal Round of 2012 Mid-American Conference Championship
Miami faces Bowling Green Saturday at 10 a.m. (CT) in the semifinals
Official: Lynda Hinshaw