OXFORD, Ohio – The Miami University women’s tennis season opened their fall season Friday with the first day of the Miami Invitational at the Miami University Tennis Courts. The three-day event brings Louisville, Purdue, and Xavier to Oxford to compete in doubles and singles competitions. Today saw the ‘Hawks go head-to-head with Xavier in doubles matches, followed by a singles pairing against Louisville.
In the doubles portion of the day, junior Emily Struble and freshman Makenzie Myers led the way for Miami. The duo put together a dominating performance, blanking the Xavier team of Fitz-Randolph/Ruether 6-0.
Moving into the singles rotation, Myers added to her strong showing. The Evansville, Indiana product rolled to another quick victory, this time besting Louisville senior Ariana Rodriguez by a final of 6-3, 6-2. This wasn’t the only promising performance by a RedHawk newcomer, as fellow freshman Melati Devi also scored a big victory, knocking off Mia Schmidt-Jorgensen of the Cardinals 6-4, 6-3.
Earlier in the day, Purdue took four out of six singles matches from Xavier, as well as two of three doubles contests from Louisville.
The tournament continues tomorrow, with Miami facing Louisville in doubles and Purdue in singles. The full schedule is below. The Miami Invitational, like all fall tennis events, does not count towards team’s overall record. Players are competing as individuals and their rankings are affected.
10 am: Xavier vs. Louisville (singles)
1 pm: Miami vs. Louisville, Xavier vs. Purdue (doubles)
After: Miami vs. Purdue (singles)
9 am: Louisville vs. Purdue (singles)
12 pm: Miami vs. Purdue, Xavier vs. Louisville (doubles)
After: Miami vs. Xavier (singles)
Make sure to follow @MiamiOH_Tennis on Twitter for live updates throughout the weekend.
Below are the full results for the day:
Purdue vs. Xavier:
1. Lauren Ghidotti (XU) def. Alex Sabe (PU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
2. Silvia Ambrosio (PU) def. Sophia Abelson (XU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. Amina Makhametshina (PU) def. Elizabeth Bagerbaseh (XU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Ena Babic (PU) def. Rachael Reichenbach (XU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Lauren Fitz-Randolph (XU) def. Zata Dovnik (PU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-0
6. Rafaella Baquerizo (PU) def. Zoe Manion (XU) 6-3, 6-2
Miami vs. Xavier (doubles):
1. Ghidotti/Abelson (XU) def. Ponomareva/Vasiukhina (MU) 6-1
2. Bagerbaseh/Reichenbach (XU) def. Kalita/Lysova (MU) 6-2
3. Struble/Myers (MU) def. Fitz-Randolph/Ruether (XU) 6-0
Purdue vs. Louisville (doubles):
1. Humberg/Pahz (UL) def. Babic/Ambrosio (PU) 7-6
2. Baquerizo/Makhametshina (PU) def. Huber/Rodriguez (UL) 6-4
3. Sabe/Dovnik (PU) def. Neely/Smith (UL) 7-5
Miami vs. Louisville:
1. Mariana Humberg (UL) def. Nelli Ponomareva (MU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Abbie Pahz (UL) def. Emily Struble (MU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Raven Neely (UL) def. Anastasiia Vasiukhina (MU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
4. Tiffany Huber (UL) def. Priyana Kalita (MU) 7-6, 4-6, 6-3
5. Makenzie Myers (MU) def. Ariana Rodriguez (UL) 6-3, 6-2
6. Maya Smith (UL) def. Lena Babunski (MU) 6-2, 6-2
7. Melati Devi (MU) def. Mia Schmidt-Jorgensen (UL) 6-4, 6-3
8. Anna Collins (UL) def. Janelle Ghanem (MU) 7-6, 1-6, 6-3