OXFORD, Ohio – The Miami University women’s tennis team continued the opening weekend of their fall season Saturday with the Miami Invitational at the Miami University Tennis Courts. The second day of the competition pitted the Red and White against Louisville in doubles and Purdue in singles.
The doubles rotation featured a pair of impressive Miami victories. The senior duo of Nelli Ponomareva and Anastasiia Vasiukhina notched a victory against Louisville’s #1 doubles team of Humber/Pahz. The Russian natives put up a dynamic performance to earn the 6-2 decision. Following the veterans' lead, freshmen Priyana Kalita and Milana Lysova also scored an impressive win of their own, besting the Cardinals’ Huber/Rodriguez, also by a score of 6-2.
In a singles pairing that saw several back-and-forth three-set matches, freshman Makenzie Myers again shone as a bright spot for the RedHawks. A day after a dominant 6-3, 6-2 victory, this time she found herself having to overcome a dropped first set en route to a win over Purdue’s Zala Dovnik. The 1-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory pushed Myers to 2-0 in singles on the weekend.
Earlier in the day, Louisville took five of seven singles matches from Xavier, while Purdue swept the Musketeers in doubles. The tournament will conclude tomorrow, with Miami facing Purdue in doubles and Xavier in singles. The full schedule can be found below. The Miami Invitational, like all fall tennis events, does not count towards overall team record, but players’ individual rankings are affected.
Sunday, October 1:
9 am: Louisville vs. Purdue (singles)
12 pm: Miami vs. Purdue, Xavier vs. Louisville (doubles)
After: Miami vs. Xavier (singles)
For live updates throughout the day, be sure to follow @MiamiOH_Tennis on Twitter.
Below are Saturday’s full results.
Xavier vs. Louisville:
1. Mariana Humberg (UL) def. Lauren Ghidotti (XU) 4-6, 7-6, 6-3
2. Maya Smith (UL) def. Sophia Abelson (XU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
3. Elizabeth Bagerbaseh (XU) def. Abbie Pahz (UL) 6-3, 6-2
4. Raven Neely (UL) def. Rachael Reichenbach (XU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Tiffany Huber (UL) def. Lauren Fitz-Randolph (XU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Mia Schmidt-Jorgensen (UL) def. Zoe Manion (XU) 6-2, 6-3
7. Kaitlin Ruether (XU) def. Anna Collins (UL) 6-2, 6-2
Miami vs. Louisville (doubles):
1. Ponomareva/Vasiukhina (MU) def. Pahz/Humberg (UL) 6-2
2. Kalita/Lysova (MU) def. Huber/Rodriguez (UL) 6-2
3. Neely/Smith (UL) def. Struble/Myers (MU) 6-2
4. Collins/Schmidt-Jorgensen (UL) def. Devi/Babunski (MU) 6-3
Xavier vs. Purdue (doubles):
1. Ambrosio/Babic (PU) def. Ghidotti/Abelson (XU) 6-0
2. Makhametshina/Baquerizo (PU) def. Reichenbach/Bagerbaseh (XU) 6-1
3. Sabe/Dovnik (PU) def. Manion/Ruether (XU) 6-2
Miami vs. Purdue:
1. Silvia Ambrosio (PU) def. Nelli Ponomareva (MU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Amina Makhametshina (PU) def. Anastasiia Vasiukhina (MU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Alex Sabe (PU) def. Emily Struble (MU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Ena Babic (PU) def. Milana Lysova (MU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Makenzie Myers (MU) def. Zala Dovnik (PU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Rafaella Baquerizo (PU) def. Melati Devi (MU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3