OXFORD, Ohio - The Miami University women's tennis team wrapped up the weekend with day three of the Miami Invitational on Sunday at the Miami University Tennis Courts. The RedHawks went up against Purdue in doubles, and then rounded out the day with a singles rotation against Xavier.
In a doubles matchup with Purdue limited to only two matches, Miami fought hard but was unable to earn a victory in either. The senior duo of Ponomareva/Vasiukhina jumped out to an early lead, but was just barely clipped by the Boilermakers' #1 duo of Babic/Ambrosio.
The singles portion of the day, however, would turn out to be much more fruitful for the `Hawks: The Red and White earned four victories against the Musketeers. Junior Emily Struble led the way, coming in early with an impressive 6-3, 6-2 win over Xavier's Lauren Ghidotti on the first court.
After Struble, the six other RedHawks competing in singles matches consisted entirely of freshmen. Lena Babunski put together a dominating two-set victory, besting Lauren Fitz-Randolph 6-2, 6-2. Melati Devi won in three sets, defeating Kaitlin Ruether 6-3, 1-6, 6-1 while Milana Lysova won a tense tiebreak to knock off Elizabeth Bagerbaseh, 7-5, 7-6. This marks the first collegiate career singles victory for Babunski and Lysova, while Devi earned her first on Friday.
Earlier in the day, Louisville took three of five singles matches from Purdue and two of three doubles contests against Xavier. The day's full results are below.
Miami will return to the courts next Thursday when they travel to Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, Tenn. for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Ohio Valley Regionals. The tournament will run from October 12-16. Be sure to follow @MiamiOH_Tennis on Twitter for news about all upcoming events.
Sunday's Full Results:
Louisville vs. Purdue
1. Abbie Pahz (UL) def. Amina Mukhametshina (PU) 6-7, 6-3, 6-3
2. Tiffany Huber (UL) def. Alex Sabe (PU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Silvia Ambrosio (PU) def. Raven Neely (UL) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Ena Babic (PU) def. Maya Smith (UL) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
5. Mia Schmidt-Jorgensen (UL) def. Zala Dovnik (PU) 7-6, 6-2
Miami vs. Purdue (doubles)
1. Babic/Ambrosio (PU) def. Ponomareva/Vasiukhina (MU) 6-4
2. Baquerizo/Mukhametshina (PU) def. Kalita/Lysova (MU) 6-1
Louisville vs. Xavier (doubles)
1. Ghidotti/Abelson (XU) def. Huber/Neely (UL) 6-4
2. Pahz/Rodriguez (UL) def. Bagerbaseh/Reichenbach (XU) 7-6
3. Schmidt-Jorgensen/Collins (UL) def. Manion/Fitz-Randolph (XU) 7-5
Miami vs. Xavier
1. Emily Struble (MU) def. Lauren Ghidotti (XU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Sophie Abelson (XU) def. Priyana Kalita (MU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Milana Lysova (MU) def. Elizabeth Bagerbaseh (XU) 7-5, 7-6
4. Rachael Reichenbach (XU) def. Makenzie Myers (MU) 6-7, 6-4, 7-6
5. Lena Babunski (MU) def. Lauren Fitz-Randolph (XU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Melati Devi (MU) def. Kaitlin Ruether (XU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-1
7. Zoe Manion (XU) def. Janelle Ghanem (MU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1